Friday, June 02, 2006

Chatham News Update

I've emailed Dr. Michelmore a couple times in the last week or so, and this last time asked how Dr. Chaffey and Dr. Aiken were doing. Her response...


Dr Chaffey and I are doing fine. Dr. Chaffey is looking forward to retiring next spring. As with everything he does, he is doing it in an orderly and planned fashion.

Dr. Aiken is not so good. He has a nasty cancer that is slowly killing him. It started out as some form of rare lung cancer and has moved to various other places. He is not teaching but comes in a couple times a week to read and think and have lunch. I don't think he will live much longer, but it is very hard to tell.

He is wondering what impact he made here. So if you feel like writing him and telling him, that would be wonderful. You can just tell him you asked about him, I told you and whatever comes next. When I said he was being very calm about everything, he indicated that philosophers were bad at the small things, but they'd already thought a lot about the big things, like dying.

Sorry to burden you with this information, but thought you might want to write him--and you can tell others if you think they would want to.



I don't know if you guys would want to know any of this, but thought I'd pass it along. How sad, I loved Dr. Aiken, after Michelmore, he was probably my favorite teacher. I'll probably be sending him an email soon.