I have a friend who is Mormon. He's been attending BYU for the last few years, and is home this week visiting his family. Tonight, him, my friend D, and I went to dinner, where upon my arrival, before he even said hello, he looked up and announced, "I'm gay".
I just shrugged and said, "Okay". I could tell he was scared, drinks arrived shortly after that, and he took a huge gulp of his Cosmo. That's another thing, he used to never drink, now he does.
I'm worried about him. I know he's not entirely alright with his decision, he doesn't know how to reconcile his religious beliefs with his sexuality. He has completely stopped going to church. He's terrified of telling his mother because he is afraid she'll make it so he'll never be able to see his sister and brothers (all much younger then him). I feel so bad for him. Coming out to yourself, let alone others, can be so hard.
After dinner, walking out to our cars, I gave him a big hug and said, "Congratulations, I'm proud of you!"
No comments:
Post a Comment